TRIO Student Support Services Program
What is TRIO?
Our nation has asserted a commitment to providing educational opportunity for all Americans regardless of race, ethnic background, or economic circumstance. In support of this commitment, Congress established a series of programs to help low-income Americans enter college, graduate and move on to participate more fully in America's economic and social life.
These Programs are funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and are referred to as the TRIO Programs (initially just three programs). While student financial aid programs help students overcome financial barriers to higher education, TRIO programs help students overcome class, social and cultural barriers to higher education.
The name TRIO now refers to eight educational assistance programs (see the drop-down list below):
Upward Bound offers participating high school students academic & non-academic support to enter post-secondary education;
Educational Talent Search
Student Support Services
Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program serves juniors and seniors in college with the purpose of encouraging and preparing participants to enter graduate school;
Educational Opportunity Center
Educational Opportunity Centers provide college entrance and financial aid information to older Americans who are economically disadvantaged;
Upward Bound Math-Science
Upward Bound Math-Science strengthens high school students' math & science skills and encourages them to pursue degrees in math & science, and ultimately careers in those fields;
Veterans Upward Bound
Veterans Upward Bound is in place to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other vital skills necessary for acceptance and success in their postsecondary education.
Training Program for Federal TRIO Programs
Training Program for Federal TRIO Programs provide training to enhance skills of project directors and staff employed in Federal TRIO Programs.
This grant has been 100% federally funded by the United States Department of Education to serve 160 scholars annually in the amount of $275,105 per year for a period of five years.
TRIO at Washington State University
McNair Scholars Program
- At WSU Pullman since 1998. Visit McNair Scholars Program.
Student Support Services Programs
- At WSU Pullman since 2001. Learn about TRIO SSS.
- Student Support Services Program Classic at WSU Tri-Cities since 2010. Visit WSU Tri-Cities TRIO.
- Student Support Services Teacher Prep has been at WSU since 2015, a teacher preparation TRIO SSS Program. Learn about Teacher Prep SSS.
- Veterans Student Support Services Program at WSU Pullman since 2020. Learn about the Veteran SSS Program.
- STEM Student Support Services Program at WSU Pullman since 2020. Learn about the STEM SSS Program.
- STEM Student Support Services Program at WSU Tri-Cities since 2020. Learn about the TRIO Stem and Health Sciences.
Talent Search Programs
- At WSU Vancouver, two newly added funded programs as of 2021. Learn about the Talent Search Programs.
Upward Bound Programs
- At WSU Pullman since 2003 (serving Central Okanogan County).
- At WSU Spokane since 2003 (serving Ferry/Stevens Counties). See Spokane Upward Bound.
- At WSU Tri-Cities since 2003 (serving Yakima County).
- At WSU Tri-Cities since 2007 (serving Columbia Basin County).
- At WSU Pullman since 2012 (serving North Okanogan County).
- At WSU since 2017, Cougs Rise.
Upward Bound Math-Science Programs
- At WSU since 2017, Cougs Rise.
Fun Fact: Every year on the last Saturday of February, high school and college students, teachers, Members of Congress, local officials, TRIO Program staff, scholars and alumni, and many others celebrate, reflect, and act on behalf of TRIO!